Thursday, April 7, 2011

They pay me minimum wage, plus stories...

Greetings, all.
After countless friends and coworkers heard my heinous stories about my experiences as a cashier and told me I should be blogging, I decided it's time to start. I need a place to vent about my dealings with the general public, so here it is. 

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Sam, a pre-nursing college student who has worked in customer service since I was 15. I've worked a variety of jobs, from a pharmacy technician to a seating hostess in a chain restaurant, but by far the most entertaining has been at a national department store that wishes to remain anonymous. On a bad day I might refer to it as "Hell Mart", but overall it's a good place to work. It was my first job, and I recently came back to pay my way through college. My coworkers are awesome, as are my bosses, and being there is enjoyable overall, as far as retail jobs go. The only element that really irks me and often makes me want to punch of a bag of puppies are the customers. Yep, that's right - I work in customer service, and I can't stand most customers. It is what it is. 

Don't get me wrong, there are the occasional customers who are sweet and obliging enough to brighten your entire day and cause you to regain even a shred of faith in humanity. But these individuals are few and far between, at least in my checkout lane. Because working in customer service has taught me three crucial tidbits of information:
1. Despite what they shove down your throat in the plethora of training videos you are subjected to, the customer is NOT always right. In fact, nine times of out ten they are absolutely fucking WRONG.

2. Whoever came up with the saying that there is no such thing as a stupid question CLEARLY never worked in customer service. I lost all faith in that old adage around the hundredth time someone asked me what a zip code is.

3. Finally, people are batshit insane. Some of them hide it well, but it is a universal truth that I am grudgingly coming to accept. 

These three truths will be proven time and time again in the stories I have to share. Trust me, there are plenty. But I'll save those for another day- after all, I have homework to finish so I don't end up working in customer service forever. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment